JuLiE
I remember an article written by Bo Sanchez entitled "Feel your feelings and then let go". He says that negative emotions are windows of our soul, which teach us about who we are and what we need from God (he's some sort of a religious writer). He says that the only way to get rid of a negative emotion is to recognize it, feel it, and then let it go. We should not try to repress it , or cover it up, or hide away from it. Because how can you let go of something you have not held, he says. Makes sense huh?

The article had an impact on me the time I read it. (Heck, I even wrote an excerpt in my journal!) See, I think I am guilty of repressing negative emotions (anger, guilt, self-pity, sadness..) because I always choose not to be affected to spare myself off the suffering. I thought that a feeling is a choice. It's just a matter of perspective. However, I realize that a negative emotion can not be repressed or denied. It comes back or comes out in other forms we may not be aware of.

In the latter part of the article, Bo says that you should allow yourself to feel the pain. Accompany it. Breath into it. Don't judge or critize. Just feel it. And after a while you'll feel the anger or pain or sadness loose its urgency and power.

Guess what, I am getting good at that right now!

0 Responses