JuLiE
I had my most wonderful zoo experience last Saturday (May 28)! Duh, as if I have a lot of zoo experiences... But in fairness, I remember going to Manila Zoo when I was a kid. All I remember is that I saw a caged lion and that the place stinks (so much for a lasting impression). I don't know if the place is any better now.

ANYWAY, Singapore Zoo on the other hand is fantastic! It takes you to an intricate journey in the jungle to discover its vast species of wildlife. The zoo attempts to emulate the creatures' natural habitat to stimulate survival. Meaning, instead of confining the animals in a cage (unless completely necessary) they transformed areas into grasslands, forests, swamps, plains, depending on the animals that situate on it. Cool huh? I just wonder if the animals haven't realized yet that they're NOT on their natural habitat. I mean, an animal's area is too small to be say, a forest. And they don't have their natural enemies appearing any moment. Oh, they must be bored.

We arrived at around 4:30 p.m. (a little late) so we really had to double time to see all the animals in that huge park. By the time we went out of the zoo at around 7 p.m. (the zoo closes at 6), I had aching feet, legs, and lower back but very much satisfied nonetheless. It was just too bad that we were not able to see the animal shows.


Me and daddy at the entrance.

These are lovelier than their relatives (horses).

The elepahant stinks! I touched it to feel its skin. After washing my hands for five times, the smell is still there. Eew!

The tallest mammal. Their hearts got to be so big and beats 3x faster than that of a human in order to transport oxygen and blood into their brains.

Mommy chimp w/ baby chimp. Cute di ba? Young chimps stay with their mothers for upto 10 years.

This is a jaguar.

This is a leopard.
Can you spot the difference?

Inuka - the first and only polar bear born in the tropics.

A lioness. Lions are the only cats that live in a large family group. They are toe-walkers, meaning, their heels do not touch the ground when they walk.


Camels have a double row of long curly lashes to protect their eyes from sand and dust. They can regulate their body temperature to conserve body fluids, thus, they perspire very little.

0 Responses